Università della Svizzera italiana (UNISI)www.unisi.ch
Schulprofil - UNISI
Zahlen & Fakten
Seven reasons for choosing USI:
- Quality of the Swiss university system
- International faculty
- Leading interdisciplinary education
- Teacher/student radio 1 to 9
- Strong ties with the business world
- Flexible structure, open to the exchange of ideas
- International, dynamic and welcoming environment
USI is a young and agile university that offers to its students a quality education and an enhancing study experience. International faculty teach students with an interdisciplinary, engaging and interactive approach, leaving room to practical application.
The quality of the study curricula is complemented by USI small size, by its cosmopolitan environment and its informal and dynamic culture.
These elements make USI a hub of opportunity open to the world, where students can engage in direct dialogue with their professors and define their educational path, discover unexpected horizons, and embrace international careers.
The Swiss university system, which includes USI, is a renowned quality system that makes Switzerland one of the most competitive countries in the world despite its size.
There are three particular strengths of this system: :
- International appeal - Swiss universities attract students and faculty from many different countries; altogether, a quarter of the students and a third of faculty at Swiss universities come from abroad; at USI, 65% of students are foreign, coming from 100 different countries.
- High employment rate of graduates – on average, 1 year after graduation over 90% of graduates have joined the workforce.
- Favourable framework conditions – Switzerland is a country with a quality of life among the highest in the world, efficient public services and a stable political system, which allow for positive interactions between the public and the private sector leading to important investments in higher education (around 17.500 USD per student per annum, against the OCSE average of 10.200 USD), research and innovation.
While USI engages mainly in fundamental research, complying with the Swiss ‘dual’ model, it nonetheless is active in transferring research outcomes to society and fostering innovation through, in particular:
- the Start-up Promotion Center (CP Start-up), which has contributed to the creation of 45 companies currently operating in the region, generating around 150 jobs;
- Humabs, a successful biomedical spin-off company that collaborates with large international groups in the field;
- the Center for Computational Medicine in Cardiology which, in joint collaboration with Cardiocentro Ticino, develops new diagnostic and therapeutic techniques based on computer simulations;
- numerous applied studies, including student field projects and other applications of academic research;
- a series of advanced educational programs at the Faculty of Biomedical Sciences for biotechnology and medical technology entrepreneurs, coordinated by CASE BioMed;
- the encouragement of entrepreneurship with the Start-up Training programme of Innosuisse, coordinated by USI, SUPSI and CP-Start-up in Ticino;
- the participation in the activities of the Agire Foundation.